Thursday, May 05, 2005

The gnostic and the pig

My teacher used to say in a discourse:

Have you wondered why after embracing the way of the gnostics, you tend to have lesser and lesser desire for worldly pleasures - eating, sleeping, etc ? Yes, the soul has transformed from the attributes of mazmumah(inciting soul) to mazmudah(reproachful soul). A natural desire to turn away from evil to goodness.

Does the king eat his food at the lowly unhygienic eatery place ? No. He is served at the lofty palace. Similarly, God wants to protect us from any evil that will taint the purity of our soul. The Shariah is meant to serve that purpose.

Suffice to say,"God forbids(haram) me from eating pork or dead meat or consume alcohol." Instead of proclaiming "that pork is haram". He lays down the way because He loves us. There is really no real need to intensively occupy oneself to find the scientific basis on why eating pork is forbidden.

However, we are not to speak evil when we see the pig. We are not to curse the animal. If we speak ill of it and if God were to allow the pig to speak, just think what it will say to us ?

"I am a pig but at least I know my position in this cosmic existence. I accept(ridha) of what my Lord has created. But you human, you are supposed to be of a "higher creation" but know not of the adab in front of the Lord."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home