Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Step by step transformation

I recently started to think about this topic after several happenings.

The first one was after several recent conversations I had with one of my elder brothers. He has just retired. We spoke of how now he has more time to concentrate on doing more zikir, voluntary(nawafil) prayers, attending Quranic and fiqih classes in mosques. He spoke highly of the blessings of night virgils(tahajjud) and muraqabah (contemplation) that he has experienced so far. To a large extent I have been encouraged to look at my own spiritual condition and see how I can make further progress.

The second time was when me and my wife first visited our new gynae to get his expert opinion of how best to treat our unfertility problem. During the discussion, he mentioned to my wife that she needed to look into reducing her weight. For her height, he mentioned that she is about 15 kilos off her ideal weight. Depressing as it sounds my wife readily accepted that she needed to embark on some life-changing decisions, no matter how hard the challenges were. To encourage my wife, the gynae told her,"I do not want you go for a drastic diet change or slimming course. Make simple goal of reducing say 1 kilo per week. Reduce intake of rice and increase consumption of vegetable and fruits. In the long run, you will see the changes." I listened intently to this advice. It reminded me of the words of like Saidina Ali (radiallahu anhu ) "Wisdom is the goal of the believer, so acquire wisdom even from hypocrites."

Everyone wants to improve. Preferably in giant strides. We are bewildered by Hollywood "Extreme Makeover" reality show where real persons undergo sudden transformation of their physical appearance from one of unattractiveness to a socially acceptable standard of beauty. Instantly changing their confidence levels and lifestyle.

I think it is the same with spirituality. The desire to quickly achieve blessings, to get spiritual gifts and instantly turn embrace new moral principles. I am no exception. However looking back I realised it took me more than 15 years since I met my guide before I really made significant progress in my spiritual growth. I mean now I enjoy my salaat, especially night virgils. I have improved my frequency and concentration of zikir and selawat. My heart now would be able to absorb much more understanding of my guide's counsels and words of wisdom.

There are however more that I need to acheive and cannot remain in this level forever. For once, I want to clean up my workstation. It is mess. I remembered reading a book whereby the sufi syekh mentioned that if we cannot get our worldly life organised how do we expect to overcome our nafs in spiritual matters. It is said that this syekh was most organised and his workiong table was perpetually speck and clean. Now I have make a new goal to clean up my office desk. Half of it is now organised and clean of unwanted papers and files.

So far this simple progression method is indeed a useful tool. There is value in deliberate and measured improvements. Even the Prophet (s.a.w) when he received the revelation, it was in stages. The important things are patience, discipline and steadfastness. God knows what is best for us. He said in the Holy Qu'ran,"You may like a thing that is not good for you, and you may dislike something, but Allah brings about much good by way of it."

O God! Hold my hands in my journey to You. Do not abandon me or let me out of Your Sight even for a split second. Show me the way, grant me the inspiration to make new simple goals, patience and discipline in achieving them. For You are My Only Helper, Guide and Protector.

1 Comments:

At May 12, 2005 6:21 PM, Blogger al-fikri said...

Alhamdullilah, I am glad that you have managed the exams well. My advice is nothing really for Allah is The Most Wise and Greatest of Helpers.

May Allah Bless You,

Al-Fikri

 

Post a Comment

<< Home